Friday, January 15, 2016
Feminism
While reading one of Shakespeare's most controversial plays, The Taming of the Shrew, a major topic of feminism has been discussed throughout our class. Back in the time period of Shakespeare, where women were seen as more of a sexual symbol that produce offspring, their rights were limited. As our society has grown, women have become increasingly more powerful and influential in the world. I am a firm believer that all people should have equal opportunity and it just so happens that there are typical male and women roles in our society that fit the requirements of that field. I therefore do not consider myself to be a feminist because I could care less to advocate for women's rights because they have just as much as men already. However, men are usually more physically dominant and therefore are seen as more influential than females which are back up by statistics of male presidents to female presidents, or male sports coaches to female sport coaches. We all have the same opportunity no matter the gender, but specific and generic roles have been outlined throughout the past which are not unfair to judge women by. I believe that feminism is not really a problem in the U.S currently because males and females are all born with equal rights but there are certain limitations to both parties.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Matt,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you wholeheartedly and support gender equality, however I am not a feminist just like you. I also believe that they have a wide range of opportunity and have gained numerous rights, therefore there is no reason to be a feminist and promote the movement due to their rights increasing. Nice Blog!
Chase R.
I agree with many of your points. Like you, I do not consider myself a feminist and believe that women already have a wide range of rights in the U.S. I particularly agree with your last sentence as I believe as well that each party is unique so why should we treat women the same as men, when they are unique in their own ways. Overall, great blog.
ReplyDeleteI agree with many of your points. Women do have the same rights as men today at least in the United States. Where the problem is, is how we treat not just women, but all people. Until we can learn to treat others regardless of race, sex, or nationality with respect and dignity, we will never know equality.
ReplyDeleteI agree with many of your points. Women today in the U.S. have the same rights as men. The issue of inequality is not found in the legality of our society, but in the way we treat others. Until we can learn to treat others regardless of race, sex, or nationality, with the same respect and dignity we want to be treated with, we will never know social equality.
ReplyDeleteI disagree, equality has come a long way though out history. Although men and women are becoming more equal, we have a long way to go. The fact that generic gender roles have been established is a perfect example of inequality between men and women. I understand that you are just stating your opinion, I just personally am offended and strongly disagree.
ReplyDeleteHey Matt, I totally agree with your points that talk about feminism. I also really like how you talked about the broader topics such as how we should not fight for just feminism, we should fight for all people and equality as a whole. We are not going to go anywhere as a nation if we do not learn to accept people and give them equality no matter what gender, race, or ideology.
ReplyDeleteI, without a doubt, agree with your blog post. although not supporting feminism as openly and radically as other individuals in our school, I do support the equality of all human beings no matter social class, gender, race, sexual preference, etc. Although the ideals of women's rights do need to be tackled, I do not believe that it is as drastic as some make it out to be. Love your post. Looking forward to your future posts and your chewy thoughts little boy!!
ReplyDeleteLEZ GET IT!
-Justin Lam