Friday, October 30, 2015
Balzac and the Chinese Seamstress
In Daj Sijie's novel, Balzac and the Chinese Seamstress, the setting is in the time of Mao's cultural revolution. Through the progression of the narrator and his best friend, Luo, actions, we learn from the book how living in these conditions were like. As we begin to understand the more and more restrictions that these people have in the reeducation programs, we learn how hard it was for them to become more knowledgable. Through the banned books, it provides proof that the government is hiding valuable material from their citizens. I interpret this as fear that these books will let others become more educated in civilized, forming their new ideas that differ from the "appropriate" beliefs. Being an historical fiction book, we understand that these events happened but adds a more specific component to learning. We feel more connected as they are about our age, and the events based on true ones are extremely influential.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow Matt! I totally agreed with what you said within this post! I also believe that through banned books, it does give proof on how the government is hiding valuable materials from the population that can provide an uprising. I also agree that we DO connect with the characters in the novel because we are so similar in age! Good work Matt! Excited to see your future posts!
ReplyDelete-Justin Lam
#Desmós