Friday, October 16, 2015

Banned Books

The topic of banning books has always been controversial and I have never understood it. Personally, I believe that certain books should be banned for people under a certain age. New ideas and even outrageous beliefs can and should be able to be read if it is of any interest to you. If books go against one's morals or ideas, then don't read the book. However, propaganda and politics have influenced the past greatly in making decisions. Therefore, I understand some books being banned if it went against government policies or beliefs. Banning books is a sign of fear: a fear of the book changing one's way of thinking. Therefore, I understand some books being banned if it went against government policies or beliefs. They believe it is important to censor what their citizens believe in. If a book was "illegal" in my country, I wouldn't pursue reading it because  know it is banned for a reason, but just for curiosity I would probable someday read the book myself to see other people's way of thinking. Literature is a powerful tool to persuade many, but I don't believe it should be censored.

1 comment:

  1. Matt,

    I agree with you in regards to your post. I also have never understood why someone cannot read a book that intrigues them or fascinates them. I also love the fact that you brought up the idea that banning or censoring books is a sign of fear and you have brought me to believe a new idea and to think of the censorship of literature in a whole other light. Nice post Matt!

    Chase R.

    ReplyDelete