Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Name

My name is Matthew, a common name that comes from the Bible. My family are Christian and I believe that is what ultimately influenced their decision. My original Korean name is Jin-Ho. It was originally difficult to have two name but I got used to it. I did feel insecure about my Korean name, and I remember in elementary school when attendance was called, Jin-ho was my legal name so I always had to remind people that I'm Matthew. However, I got used to it and did not find it as a big deal. My legal name is now Matthew and I don't care anymore if people know my Korean name either.
Gogul finds his name as a hinderance and is embarrassed because of the unconventional meaning it has. Not many families name choose different names for the children, however when people do it provides for a platform for bullying because of differences. Therefore, Gogul is insecure about his name and does not want people to know or call him by his difference. I can connect to this because of my first experiences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment