Friday, October 2, 2015

WImps

The phrase "All Men are Created Equal" pertains to the laws and right one has in their society. However, we are certainly not equal in mental or physical ability. In the short story "Harrison Bergeron", it portrays an unrealistic future where it takes the literal meaning of equal and applies it to humans. It was an interesting story to read but absurd at the same time because common sense will tell us that in order for the world to improve and advance, new ideas have to be made. Going off of this, shielding kids from realizes failure and victories may make them lose their confidence but will pay off in the long run. Having kid realize that not everyone has the same ability to impact the world is an important concept to understand so they will work harder in the future. I am a firm believer in tough love, and in order for someone to truly succeed they must know how much it sucks to fail, so that they will never want to be in that position again.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you, kids must learn to fail and how much it sucks in order to achieve success. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,

    I totally agree with you, kids do need to experience both ends of the spectrum, falling and being victorious. I also really like how you connect tough love into your blog and what you believe in. Lastly, I also love how you relate to the phrase "all men are created equal" and going into talking about how we aren't equal in physical and mental ability, which I truly believe. Nice post, I can't wait to see your next one!

    Chase R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog post was very thought provoking and I agree with a lot of the thoughts that Matt is making in this piece of writing. When mentioning the equality of men and comparing it between physical/mental health versus the rights one is given in society allowed me to better understand the short story we discussed in class. Another point that Matt made I agree with was when he discussed giving kids tough love and although it may not look like the best situation at the age of the kids playing it will help in the long run. I enjoyed how Matt was able to provoke my thinking ability and portray his own thoughts in a very concise way. Nice Job Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overall you do a nice job here. Make sure you proofread as there are a couple of errors in the entry.

    ReplyDelete